Sorry guys but today’s post is all about ME, ME, ME! 🙂 That’s because today’s my birthday and I can’t believe I’m turning the big 2-5! I’m a quarter of a century old! To make myself feel better, I tell myself things like “I’m only 25 and have already lived in 5 countries (and many more cities)!”, “Look at me! I’m an expat in Europe!”, “I’m going to Italy in a few weeks!” and “No worries, I still look good in short shorts!”
Of course, alcohol and cake also helps.
This year, I’ll be celebrating my birthday in lovely Munich. The bf has planned a huge surprise for me, but I don’t know what it is since I cheated and actually wrote this post yesterday and timed it to be published today, hehe. Anyway, for this all about me post, I’ve decided to share 25 interesting facts about myself…one for every year I’ve been alive for. Cheers!
1. I hate it when guys buy me flowers. It just seems so unimaginative.
2. I still get nervous speaking German despite having lived in Germany for almost 2 years now.
3. Travelling around Europe has surprised me…I didn’t like Paris or Vienna as much as I thought I would, but I loved cities like Budapest and Prague which I never thought that much about.
4. I used to take ballet lessons and even had a tutu and performed at an arts centre.
5. I also took skating lessons but couldn’t pass a level because it required you to jump over a hockey stick and every time I attempted it, I kept falling. Sounds so Canadian doesn’t it?
6. It’s a bit sad, but I’m still SO scared of going to the doctor’s and getting shots. I quiver at the sight of a needle that the nurse has to hold my hand. Sometimes there are tears!
7. Despite being so scared of needles, I actually got my first tattoo last summer after wanting to get one for the longest time…it actually didn’t hurt as bad as I expected and now I want more! (oh no..)
8. In high school, I was so ambitious about my art career, that I bought this book full of artists and their contact info and called up/emailed a bunch of them. They were all actually really nice and all took the time to talk to me!
9. I used to love jewellery (especially earrings!), but somehow from all the years of travelling, I find bringing jewellery with me everywhere to be too fussy and now I hardly wear any.
10. When I was little, I got over my fear of flying by always looking around to see if a pretty girl was also boarding the plane I’m flying in. Because bad things don’t happen to pretty girls right?!
11. My first solo backpacking trip was to Australia and I decided it was best not to plan anything…so all I did in advance was book three nights at a hostel in Sydney and went from there (I had the time of my life!)
12. As much as I love a sexy pair of heels, my favourite type of footwear is, hands down, a simple pair of flip flops.
13. Which is good, because my favourite season is summer.
14. I have to admit, I’ve tried snails and actually liked it.
15. I love sailing.
16. My ethnicity is actually just 100% Chinese, but people have thought that I’m everything from being mixed, to Hawaiian, Thai, Korean and even Danish!
17. Speaking of Chinese, I used to go to Saturday Chinese lessons when I was in middle school and I was so bad at learning the language that once I got a C on a test and my parents hung it up on our fridge!
18. The first concert I ever went to was in high school…it was the first ever Taste of Chaos tour (made by the Warped Tour people) …and headlined by The Used and My Chemical Romance.
19. Once I almost missed my flight home from Paris. After I realized I missed final boarding, I told an airport official and quickly found myself surrounded by a large group of airport officials speaking frantically in French wondering what to do with me. In the end a special shuttle drove me up to the plane before it left!
20. Once on a plane, my seat neighbour (I think in an effort to start a conversation with me) asked if this was the right plane to ________ destination (can’t remember where I was headed).
21. I always get happy when I see palm trees.
22. I was known as the “artsy girl” in high school and designed everything from our yearbook to our prom invitations.
23. One of my biggest pet peeves is people smoking next to me.
24. I’m deadly afraid of spiders.
25. The first time I learned to ride a bike, I crashed into a mailbox and got a bloody knee. In my second attempt, I crashed into a pine tree and got all scratched up.